Hong Kong Phooey video
Back in August of 2011, Eddie Murphy was signed to voice the lead character in a film adaptation of "Hong Kong Phooey, " the popular '70s cartoon about a kung fu-fighting dog. From director Alex Zamm, the live-action and animation hybrid would tell the story of Penry (Murphy) a mild-mannered canine given special powers, a sidekick named Spot the cat and the will to fight crime.
Sixteen months later, with the status of "Hong Kong Phooey" still a mystery - some blogs have already written off its development - Zamm has released test footage from the project to give fans an opportunity to see what it could have looked like.
The clip shows Penry displaying a variety of kung fu moves and one-liners. (Yes, he drinks out of the toilet.) Penry's voice is suspiciously Murphy-like, though it's unclear whether Murphy himself collaborated on the test reel or if a Murphy impersonator was used.
In addition to "Hong Kong Phooey, " Zamm was also working on a "Marvin the Martian" feature film. That film was first discussed in 2009, with Mike Myers named as a possibility to voice Marvin. The Christmas-set film was initially scheduled to arrive in theaters in December of 2011, but that never materialized. Zamm's test footage for "Marvin the Martian" can be seen in the video as well, following the "Hong Kong Phooey" clip.
- Eddie Murphy attends the world premiere of 'Tower Heist' at the Ziegfeld Theatre in New York City.
- Eddie Murphy speaks onstage at the First Annual Comedy Awards at Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City.
- Eddie Murphy attends the Dark and Lovely annoucement of Bria Murphy as the new global brand ambassador.
- Actor Eddie Murphy speaks before the screening of 'Beverly Hills Cop' during AFI & Walt Disney Pictures' 'A Cinematic Celebration of Jerry Bruckheimer'
- Eddie Murphy and producer Jeffrey Katzenberg pose during a Western Conference Quarterfinals of the 2010 NBA Playoffs between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Oklahoma City Thunder.
- Eddie Murphy attends the 2010 Tribeca Film Festival opening night premiere of 'Shrek Forever After' at the Ziegfeld Theatre.
- Actors Danny Glover and Eddie Murphy arrive at Sony Pictures Releasing's 'Death At A Funeral' premiere.
- An Eddy Murphy wax figure is seen at Madame Tussauds in Hollywood, California.
- Actors Eddie Murphy and Yara Shahidi pose at the premiere of Paramount Pictures & Nickelodeon's 'Imagine That' at Paramount Studios.
- Actor Jerry Lewis receives an honorary trophy from Eddie Murphy at the 81st Academy Awards.
- Overview of the 'Meet Dave' 15-Foot replica of Eddie Murphy's Head at Military Island in Times Square
- Eddie Murphy sits with Sylvester Stallone and Steven Spieberg at Game 3 of the 2008 NBA Finals between the Boston Celtics and the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Eddie Murphy accepts the Favorite Voice from an Animated Movie award during Nickelodeon's 2008 Kids' Choice Awards held at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion.
- Producer Tracey Edmonds poses with actor Eddie Murphy at the afterparty for the premiere of Lionsgate's 'Good Luck Chuck' at the Napa Valley Grille.
You might also like
Saturday Morning Cartoons: 1970s Vol. 1
DVD (Warner Home Video)