Hong Kong Weather in December
Allan Baxter/Photographer's Choice/Getty Images
The last month of Hong Kong's traditional high season, December means blue skies, no humidity and cool but not cold weather. The lack of humidity makes this one of the best months to visit Hong Kong when it's comfortable to explore the outdoors. If you have the choice, October and November are warmer and more enjoyable. If not, pack a sweatshirt and December is still a grand month to see this city.
The good weather makes this a fantastic time to see the New Territories. While it's probably too cool for sun bathing on the beach, there are some fantastic hikes across Hong Kong's hills and valleys. A visit to Hong Kong Wetland Park is also recommended. But you don't need to be plotting grand walks to enjoy the weather it's a fantastic time to explore the city's busting streets, from the markets to the skyscrapers of Central.
This is of course the season to be merry and Hong Kong's history as a British colony means the city celebrates the festive season. Christmas trees, tinsel and all the other trappings of a winter wonderland are all on show and most of the skyscrapers on the harbour will have Christmas lights draped across them - find out more in our Hong Kong Christmas guide. While New Year isn't celebrated quite as energetically as Chinese New Year in Jan or Feb, there will still be plenty of options for those who want to spend the night in a pub or club.
- Hong Kong in February
Average High (20C) Average Low (15C)Not only is the humidity well and truly forgotten but this is the least rain Hong Kong sees in any month. As long as you aren't expecting to hit the beach and sip cocktails under the palm tress (in which case look at September or October) December is a fantastic month to visit. It's the ideal temperature to be outside and most of what's best about Hong Kong is outside.
What to Wear
- It's sweathshirt and trouser weather by December, although you might get a day or two when you can get away with just a T-Shirt.
- You should pack a light jacket. It's unlikely you'll need to use it often but nights, particularity towards the end of the month, can be cooler.
Need to Know
- If travelling to the countryside, bring mosquito repellent and walking shoes, as well as plenty of bottled water.
- Hotel prices around Christmas and NY can be expensive as tourists from China and South East Asia arrive to soak up some of Hong Kong's festive celebrations.
- If you are looking for hot weather December is not the time. But for exploring the city you couldn't pick a better time. It's cool with blue skies and enjoyable for walking around.
- If you like shopping the city very much gets into its stride in December in the run up to Christmas.
You might also like
Chopmall(TM) 2pcs Green LED Flash Tyre Wheel Valve Cap Light for Car Bike Bicycle Motorbicycle Wheel Light Tire Light