Hong Kong's CK Life Sciences has added to its vineyard collection by acquiring three Australian vineyards owned by wine producer McWilliam's for nearly A$16m.
Vineyards at McWilliam’s’ Hanwood Estate
The Hong Kong firm, which already owns thousands of hectares of vines, said it has bought the Hanwood vineyard in Griffith, New South Wales, as well as the Station and Kirkgate vineyards in South Australia.
It paid A$15.7m for 700ha of land, of which 650 is under vine. CK Life Sciences is a subsidiary of billionaire Li Ka-shing’s Cheung Kong Holdings.
The deal is another example of Asia-based investors showing an interest in Australian vineyards and wine estates, and it follows the agreement of a free trade deal between Australia and China.
McWilliam’s has agreed to rent the vineyards from CK Life Sciences for 15 years, with the option to renew for a further five years.
The deal is similar to one that CK Life Sciences completed in New Zealand last year. It bought 596ha of vineyards from Mud House Wines for around NZ$46m and then leased the land to Accolade Wines, owner of Hardys in Australia.
Flipboard: Your Social News Magazine
Mobile Application (Flipboard, Inc)
- All your news, interests and social updates in one personalized magazine.
- Save stories you love into your own magazine. Use the + button on any item, select create a magazine and collect favorite stories, images or videos.
- Search for anything-people, topics, hashtags, blogs, your favorite sites-and flip through the results in a beautiful magazine format.
- Connect Flipboard to up to 12 social networks, streamlining your reading and activities like commenting, liking and sharing. Services include Twitter, Facebook...
- Read Cover Stories for a quick check on what s happening now. Cover Stories is created just for you and is filled with popular items from everything you ve added...
- Enjoy Flipboard in 19 localized editions-for Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Italy, Japan, Korea, Latin America, Netherlands...
- Explore hundreds of staff picks in the Content Guide (tap the red ribbon at the top), including must-read magazines and blogs, gorgeous photography and special curated...
- Add content to your Flipboard magazines through the bookmarklet at share.flipboard.com