Chinese Visa in Hong Kong

  • You must provide printed documents of all your hotel bookings for China. If you don’t, you’ll very likely be asked to come back with them to prove your itinerary. You must in some way show an exit from China, whether it is a flight from Hong Kong or the mainland (which would imply you are leaving China), or hypothetically even a hotel booking in Hong Kong should suffice as HK is not considered part of mainland China.
  • If you have no solid travel plans (which we didn’t), you can make a series of reservations via to produce an “itinerary” for the purpose of obtaining your visa.DSC08891 has free cancellation unless stated otherwise, so you can cancel after obtaining your visa.
  • Printing your itinerary: the Visa office (described below) has a photocopier for 1HKD per copy, but not a printer, so you should print documents beforehand. We did this nearby at the suitably named, “” for 5HKD (~.60 cents) per B&W copy. It is located beneath Hotel Victoria (pictured below with the yellow sign on the street corner – see map beneath photos). Bring on a USB or e-mail your documents to the shop at [email protected].

You can do this at the Visa office itself for 50HKD (~$6 USD) using their self-service photo booth. Alternatively, you can get it done while printing your itinerary if you don’t have access to a printer.DSC08896 Passport photos at the Print Shop (pictured above) cost 40HKD (~ USD).

  • A photocopy of your passport (first main pages only with your photo & info)
  • A passport photo
  • A photocopy of your arrival stamp/sticker to Hong Kong (small white slip of paper, see photo below)
  • A visa application form (obtained at the visa office itself, the online form is outdated so do not use it)
  • Photocopies of all of your hotel bookings for the duration of your stay in China

There are several agencies through which you can obtain your visa in Hong Kong, but the cheapest way is to go straight to the source by visiting The Commissioner’s Office of China’s Foreign Ministry in Hong Kong SAR. If you won’t be in Hong Kong for long, it might be worth using the China Travel Services agency, which has an office right in the airport. Info on other agencies are mentioned at the end of this article.

Hong Kong arrival stampLocation

The Commissioner’s Office of China’s Foreign Ministry
7th Floor, Lower Block, China Resources Building
26 Harbor Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Nearby transit station: Wan Chai Station (~8 minute walk)


Monday to Friday (except Hong Kong public holidays), 9:00AM-12:00PM then 2:00PM-5:00PM.
Note: the busiest times are Mondays, Tuesdays, first days after long public holidays, and peak hours (10:30-11:30AM and 2:00-3:30PM).


  • Single entry visa: 200HKD (~$25 USD)
  • Double entry: 300HKD (~$38 USD)
  • These prices are for regular service (4 working days). Faster service costs extra, and is outlined below.
You might also like
Can I Get a Hong Kong Dependant Visa for My Chinese Spouse
Can I Get a Hong Kong Dependant Visa for My Chinese Spouse ...
Renew Chinese Visa
Renew Chinese Visa
Related Posts